For the first time in a long time - I've gotten back into working out on a regular basis. I like to run/liked to run, I'm kinda on the fence at the moment. Regardless, I got ready to start training for a half marathon and my knees were killing me! I decided I needed to strengthen my legs before I started running again.
I decided to sign up with a personal trainer (justifying it with, "its cheaper than the physical therapy I never got when the doctor told me too" and "I deserve to get some help to get this body back in shape" and "I'd rather spend it on this now than medical bills later" and on and on and on...
"Why the hell do we have to justify taking care of ourselves, ladies?" This bothers me a lot. I was ravaged with guilt the night after I signed up, but I fought the urge to try and get out of it, and promised myself I would stick with it for a month and re-evaluate then.
That was about three months ago. You guessed it - I don't regret it one bit. I feel better, I can run without pain, and my husband even noticed a difference!
And I'm hear to tell you - there is no secret. Eat right and exercise - thats the answer. Bummer, I know.
I''m going about three days a week to lift weights. I've been trying to encourage the women around me to do the same. You don't have to get a trainer - I was just concerned about re-injuring my knee, so I was looking for a little extra guidance. However, having a trainer helped tremendously on those days that I just didn't (don't) want to go. Someone counting on you to show up is a huge incentive!
If you don't have/want a trainer - make the commitment and make the appointment with yourself! Change your mentality - call it an appointment - call it a meeting. Again, the guilt will try and get you. Women tend to feel guilty for taking that time away from work, kids, whatever. I go at lunch. I pack my lunch and eat on the way or while I work. Some days I take a little longer at the gym to squeeze in some cardio, but I more than make up for it by eating my lunch while I work on other days.
You are worth it! Your kids are worth it! Your husband is worth it!
Put yourself first! Nobody is going to take care of you except you! Don't cancel on yourself! Schedule other things around your workouts - put it on your calendar!
Here is something else I want to address - I think us mommies need a fitness role model with some babies on her hip. Forget about celebrities and over the top fitness models. I'm talking about somebody who put on way too many pounds while they were pregnant, ate what the heck they wanted, wrecked their bodies and then lost the weight. I want to see that after picture. I want to see an after with battle scars to show for her efforts. I brought two lives into the world and I am not embarassed by a few stretch marks. Last week I showed a friend a picture of a girl who had an amazing before and after picture and she is now a fitness model, her response was, "yeah, but has she had kids?" That was my aha moment!
So, at least for those folks around me, my goal is to be that role model. I want to do everything I can to be the healthiest, strongest me, and I want to show other busy mommies that WE ARE IMPORTANT and that being in great shape after having babies doesn't have to be a career, it can be accomplished with a little commitment and a few trips each week to the gym!
Big Bows & Besties: Hosting the Cutest Galentine’s Party Ever
-
Big Bows & Besties: Hosting the Cutest Galentine’s Party Ever. Five easy
DIY decor projects to create a festive Valentine’s Day Galentine’s party.
The po...
6 months ago

Thanks for the continued encouragement, I am working on my "after" body...
ReplyDelete