Well, about two and half years ago Lauren brought me a copy of this book. Its all about sneaking veggies into your everyday recipes and has great recipes in it as well.
I've never had any trouble getting Jax to eat fruits, but vegetables are a whole other problem. About the only veggies he will eat are corn and red bell pepper (sometimes).
In my frustration one evening it dawned on me that I had this book in the pantry. So, Jax and I pulled it out and got to work!
The secret to the sneakiness is pureeing the veggies down to a smooth consistency. So, I pulled out the food processor (but you can also you a magic bullet)... and got to work.
First you have to steam the veggies and then process them. Jax wasn't a big fan of the noisy food processor, so he decided to go play not long after I got started.
The supplies you will need are:
Fresh/frozen veggies of your choice
Ziploc Bags
Permanent Marker
Food Processor of some sort
Some mechanism for steaming. I just used a steam basket in a pot with a little bit of water.
We ended up with Spinach, Carrots, Sweet Potato and a mix of Red and Yellow Bell Pepper.
This is also a GREAT way to save that produce that you don't think is going to get eaten before it goes bad. That was a big part of what I puree'd.
If you're wondering if it works - yes, yes it does! Last night I made Spaghetti the same way I always do. BUT - this time I added a full bag (about 1 cup) the the bell pepper puree. Jaxson (and Clint) didn't seem to notice at all. I couldn't tell a difference either. I think the sweet of the peppers has a similar taste to the tomato sauce.
Jax actually ate three plates full - granted he wanted the noodles refilled and not the sauce - but I know some sauce got in there too!
Here is the finished product.
And apparently this is Jax's new M.O.... Mom is distracted/busy, so I'm going to make a mess/do something I'm not supposed to. He must have timed it just right while I had the processor on...
He pulled down his whole toy shelve. Ugh!!! When I came around the corner he was just sitting in the middle of the mess chewing on a dinosaur and watching Chuggington. Thank goodness it didn't fall on him!
And her is whats going to get me REALLY excited. I planted veggies/herbs... Lettuce, Squash, Zucchini and Cilantro.
How cool is it going to be when I can cook and puree my own home grown veggies? I'm such a dork :)
And lastly, as I am writing this I am trying to stay as distracted as possible. I took Jax to school (late) this morning because I won't be seeing him again until Sunday. Of course, I know mom's need a break - but why is it so hard to let them go.
I have NEVER been clingy. But this little guy has got some serious grip on my heart. I was tearing up in the parking lot when I dropped him off. Come on Krystal - its just like 48 hours....
So, I'm going to focus on how much fun I am going to have and the quality time I get to spend with my hubs and all my great friends.
Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are one of my favorite parts of blogging! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.