Doctor's visits wear us both out!!
Jax had his 4 month check up this morning! He are the stats...
Weight: 15 lbs 8.5 ozs ~ 60% (Dr. Wells is going to be seeing us more often I think)
Height: 25 Inches ~ 50% (Almost half mom's height)
Head: 17 1/4" ~ 80%
He got two shots. One in each leg. He really takes 'em like a champ. He just cried until I picked him up. He was flirting with the nurses before we made it to the checkout.
She said he was awesome (several times) and that he looked perfect. (Of course, we already knew that). I had her take a look at his ear. Since he figured out where his ear was, he has always tugged on it when he was frustrated for any reason. I just wanted to double check this was a habit and there wasn't some other cause. All is well.
She gave me "the look" when I told her about the cereal in the bottle, apparently not okay with the "modern way of thinking." But what I love about his doctor is they respect that I'm the mommy and know whats best for my baby. Got the same look when I mentioned him sleeping on his stomach. I think, "get over it" the SIDS risk left when he learned how to roll over... which was sooner because he sleeps on his stomach... hmmmm... Anyway, she said to go ahead and start giving him cereal (with a spoon) during the day as well if I wanted to... and that he could start drinking apple juice. What? Thats something big kids do, not my little baby that is going to be little forever, right?? Oh, how I love and hate him growing up all at the same time. I want to see him learn and grow, but I want him to be my baby forever.
Nevertheless, I will probably be heading to the store for apple juice later today. And I just can't wait to give him cereal with a spoon! Lots of fun pictures to come I am sure!
Jax had his 4 month check up this morning! He are the stats...
Weight: 15 lbs 8.5 ozs ~ 60% (Dr. Wells is going to be seeing us more often I think)
Height: 25 Inches ~ 50% (Almost half mom's height)
Head: 17 1/4" ~ 80%
He got two shots. One in each leg. He really takes 'em like a champ. He just cried until I picked him up. He was flirting with the nurses before we made it to the checkout.
She said he was awesome (several times) and that he looked perfect. (Of course, we already knew that). I had her take a look at his ear. Since he figured out where his ear was, he has always tugged on it when he was frustrated for any reason. I just wanted to double check this was a habit and there wasn't some other cause. All is well.
She gave me "the look" when I told her about the cereal in the bottle, apparently not okay with the "modern way of thinking." But what I love about his doctor is they respect that I'm the mommy and know whats best for my baby. Got the same look when I mentioned him sleeping on his stomach. I think, "get over it" the SIDS risk left when he learned how to roll over... which was sooner because he sleeps on his stomach... hmmmm... Anyway, she said to go ahead and start giving him cereal (with a spoon) during the day as well if I wanted to... and that he could start drinking apple juice. What? Thats something big kids do, not my little baby that is going to be little forever, right?? Oh, how I love and hate him growing up all at the same time. I want to see him learn and grow, but I want him to be my baby forever.
Nevertheless, I will probably be heading to the store for apple juice later today. And I just can't wait to give him cereal with a spoon! Lots of fun pictures to come I am sure!

Geez - apple juice and cereal with a spoon - seriously, what a big boy!!! Although I am sure I will feel the same way (don't grow too fast baby boy!), I look forward to the day when I can give Dash juice and cereal!! Can't wait to see the pics of Jax!
ReplyDeleteI am sooooo glad that he is doing so well!! I am sure that Dad will not mind seeing him more often...however, you might want to make sure that Mom knows when you are going!! I am glad that you are feeding him cereal because he wants it and admitting it to your dr. without caring what they think!!! I just set up the appointment to meet with a pediatrician and am trying to work out how I am going to tell him that I am a more natural old school person and will feed my baby what he wants when he wants it and will not be jumping to prescriptions every second...I hope he is cool with it cuz he's supposed to be one of the best in town!!
ReplyDeleteI am available both this weekend and next weekend. Kevin is off this weekend so we will just be hanging out at Mom's. He has to work next weekend, so I'll just be hanging with Mom or sleeping. So, I am pretty much WIDE OPEN!!!
Love you!!
Yay for seeing Eddie more!!! (well, that is, IF you let me know in advance so I get to see him too!!!)
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, I'm so happy to hear all is well and that little fella is getting to eat and sleep:)
When Kaleb gets here you really will cry over how much Jax has grown and changed.
Be sure to call me when you bring him to see Eddie!
give Jax a hug for me please! love ya, me
I want to commend you for putting your child to sleep on his stomach. I'm doing research on SIDS and was just surfing on by but if you're interested to know here is why stomahc sleep is far better for infants than back sleep.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like the Back to Sleep Campaign to prevent SIDS is primarily responsible for the increase in plagiocephaly. It prevents SIDS because Back Sleep does not allow an infant to get Deep Sleep (Stage 3/4 NREM sleep) which is when Babies primarily die of SIDS. Stage 3/4 NREM sleep is also when much of a babies plasticity and memory consolidation happens.
Infants that sleep on their backs compared to infants who sleep on their stomachs have increased rates of:
- Social skills delays at 6 months (Dewey, Fleming, et al, 1998)
- Motor skills delays at 6 months (Dewey, Fleming, et al, 1998)
- gastroesophageal reflux (GER) (Corvaglia, 2007)
- Milestone delays (Davis, Moon, et al., 1998)
- Plagiocephaly, Torticollis, Strabismus, apnea, etc. etc. etc.
My question is: If a doctor was presented with a baby that had social skills delays, motor skills delays, and gastroesophageal reflux what would a doctor say if a child had these three things but not too bad. The doctor might tell the parent to be patient and that different kids develop differently. But, what if the case was more severe - what if the kids social skills were worse? The doctor might diagnose him with ADHD. But, what if the kids delays were really far behind - that is the kid had very large delays in social skills and motor skills? The doctor might diagnose him with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I think part (if not all) of the Autism Epidemic is caused by the SIDS Back to Sleep campaign. This is totally unrelated to plagiocephaly only that plagiocephaly could be used as a marker for how well the parents followed the SIDS Back to Sleep advice. My guess is that for every 30 boys who slept in the supine position and have plagiocephaly then 5 will be diagnosed with ADHD and 1 will be diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. My guess is that for every 210 girls put to sleep in the supine position that 5 will eventually be diagnosed with ADHD and 1 will be diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. This is just my theory.
Good grief! All of mine slept on their tummies as soon as they could roll over. They would roll over as soon as I laid them down, and there wasn't much I could do about it...
ReplyDeleteGlad you found a way to get the little guy to sleep. A good night's sleep is a big step toward feeling like a human again. I would feed mine some cereal with a spoon right before they went to bed, and that worked even better than the cereal in the bottle. Yes it's messy, and yes I had just given them a bath, but it was worth it. Might be worth a shot...
Glad you guys are doing good!