Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

White Chicken Chili

I have to share this recipe with you! It is PERFECT for a day like today! I made a few variations and noted them below. The original post can be found here.

This recipe is not healthy - its hearty, not that you can't have both, it just isn't the case here. 

This recipe calls for making a roux. If you haven't ever done that, do NOT be intimidated! Its really easy and its the secret to a creamy and thick soup! I hope you get a chance to make this and I hope you like it as much as I did!


White Chicken Chili
by Tricia Thomas
Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped (I used 1/2 of one)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 cup flour
1 cup butter
4 cups half and half (I used two cups of milk)
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth (you can use more if you want the soup to be a little thinner)
4 cans white beans (navy, great northern, or garbanzo), drained and rinsed (I used two cans of pinto beans bc its what I had)
2-3 (4 oz) cans chopped green chilies (I had one can of whole ones that I chopped up)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and sliced into small pieces (I used about 2 1/2 cups of diced chicken)
2 cups grated Monterrey Jack cheese (I used squares of pepperjack that were leftover from the shower, plus a few pieces of colby jack)
1-2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1-2 tsp. of chili powder (depending how spicy you want it) (I didn't add any)
1 tsp. cumin (I didn't add any)
I seasoned it with Garlic Salt and Pepper. I was reading it on my phone and somehow completely missed the list of seasonings
1 cup sour cream (optional)
Instructions:
Cook onion and garlic in a couple tablespoons of butter until soft, not brown. Set aside. Make a roux by melting the butter and whisking the 1/2 cup of flour in. Boil for 3 minutes stirring constantly. Add the onion and garlic to the roux.
Add the half and half and chicken broth. Simmer 3 minutes or until thick.
Pour mixture into a crockpot (I just left it in the same pot) then add the white beans, chilies, chicken, cheese, Tabasco sauce, chili powder, and cumin.
Simmer 20 minutes. Right before serving add salt and pepper to taste and sour cream (optional). Garnish with cilantro.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are one of my favorite parts of blogging! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.