Let me just be honest - I have little self control around a good deal. When it comes to free stuff, I have none at all.
Driving into our neighborhood the other day I saw this bookshelf on the side of the road. I'm like, "seriously, could that be garbage?" Then I saw it, the FREE sign taped to the TV sitting on top.
My heart literally started to race. I had just gotten groceries and didn't know if I could fit in in my car. I also wasn't so sure I could lift it alone, but there was no way on earth I was driving away to let somebody else get to it before me!
So I backed up my car, rearranged some groceries, and was immediately thankful for those hours at the gym. I loaded this bad boy up and smiled all the way home!
Forgive the sideway pictures - its in the hallway, so it was hard to get a good picture.
I decorated it with items I already had. The berry "basket" below was only $1 at a garage sale. Its probably one of my favorite garage sale finds!
I used an old pinto bean sack as a table runner.
Speaking of garage sales, last Saturday Jax and I ventured out to kill some time at a few garage sales. I found some really great deals! I got Clint 4 dozen golf balls for $8. A quick google search told me that they range in price from $25-60 a box. Go Me!
Jax was in need of some age appropriate books. Everything we owned (for the most part) was pop up and toddler oriented. I got all of these for $0.25 each. They had barely been used. I didn't do the math, but I betcha I saved at least $25.
So, I don't normally buy clothes that often at garage sales because its just so hit and miss. However, a pair of BabyGap Blue Jeans caught my eye. These jeans probably retail for $39.50. I got them for $5. The Yellow Nautica shirt was $0.50 and the BabyGap Thermal was $1.00. The pajama set was $1 and the Plaid Children's Place shorts were $0.50.
Just guessing what these items would have been retail, I probably saved $80.
The majority of my time at home as a teen my parents were on a budget and we were aware of it (which I think kids should be). We did not go without and I wouldn't say we were poor, but money was definitely a factor. Every year we made a list of what we needed for school clothes and we hit the resale shops before the mall. To be honest, I am SO GLAD for those experiences. They taught me a lot about money and that you don't have to buy everything brand spanking new. Dont's get me wrong, we could afford to buy the kids clothes new if we wanted to, just maybe not all BabyGap and Nautica. I'd just rather put the money back for college than spend fortunes on clothes they grow out of so quickly. I'll let the rich folks buy it new and wear it once, and then I'll gladly pay pennies on the dollar to take it off their hands.
Just in case you didn't know, most resale shops will give you store credit for the clothes you bring in. Its a great way to get some clothes for the kiddos without the hassle of selling them. I like Mommy and Me in Conroe. You can check out their facebook here.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are one of my favorite parts of blogging! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.