There is a great article on the Dr. Phil website that includes one of my all time favorite life laws. You can read the whole article Here. I recommend it. It might slap you in the face a little bit, but if it does, its probably because you needed it.
"You teach people how to treat you."
From the moment I heard this I knew it was so very true. I am not of fan of whining, feeling sorry for yourself or complaining. I believe we are all given a set of circumstances that are not perfect. What we choose to do in our unique situation is our own. Our outcome in life is of our own doing. If someone in your life treats you poorly it is because you have allowed them to. Either stop allowing it or step away. You can't control other people, but you can exclude yourself from the situation.
Shit is going to happen to you. There are going to be sucky days, weeks and years.
I've spent the last two days periodically feeling sorry for myself. Today I am tired and woke up with little patience and a bad attitude, neither of which is tolerable or acceptable for a mom, a business person or a grown woman. So, I gave myself permission to get over it. That which is hurting me is outside of my control.
So, I am giving my grief to God. I have prayed and followed his will as best I could and he gave me the answer I need for now.
Another quote (among many) that my Mom always impressed upon us was:
"Perception is reality."
This one sometimes takes a minute to wrap your head around. As a simple example, consider this: You may be unhappy with your little house. It may have a bad paint job and the roof might leak sometimes. Your perception is that you have a crappy house.
There is someone who drives past your house every single day and dreams of living in a house just like your. Their perception is that it would make everything better to have that house.
Thats a pretty inanimate example, but the same thinking can be applied to situations in your life. What you perceive as a horrible situation may truly be an opportunity that God is preparing for you. Instead of immediately having a negative reaction, consider what God may be doing. You might be surprised that the outcome God is trying to create for you comes much more quickly and smoothly because you recognized him working in your life. He doesn't promise us a perfect life, but in my experience, when seeking his will, those circumstances that would normally have rocked my world, are suddenly just steps in the new direction.
This post today is as much me dealing with my situation as it is something to hopefully encourage you in yours. Hope everyone has a great Tuesday.
Big Bows & Besties: Hosting the Cutest Galentine’s Party Ever
-
Big Bows & Besties: Hosting the Cutest Galentine’s Party Ever. Five easy
DIY decor projects to create a festive Valentine’s Day Galentine’s party.
The po...
6 months ago

Great reminder of what a slight "attitude adjustment" can do for all of us!
ReplyDelete