The Doctor Isn't Always Right
This is not my normal post - but I felt it was worth it.
I learned two valuable lessons this week and I wanted to pass it along to my fellow moms.
For over a week Kennedy has been spitting up and it seemed to be getting progressively worse. I have tried to be very careful with what I ate to make sure I didn't upset her little body.
I finally called the doctor on Thursday to get some advice. They made no mention of my diet and explained all about Reflux. This word has haunted me since one of my best friends had an infant with a terrible case that almost caused her not to be able to breastfeed.
I immediately started worrying and researching and calling to get advice on how to deal with this new ailment.
That night we put Kennedy to sleep on her back per the doctor's insistence and suffered one of the longest nights of her short little life. Finally, at 4am, Clint said through his daze..."maybe we should put her on her stomach." I was torn. I wanted her to sleep and I wanted to sleep... and she hadn't spit up all night.
I caved. Rocked her to sleep. Laid her on her stomach. She slept. Like a Rock.
All day Friday - no spit up.
All nigh last night - on her stomach - no spit up.
I started thinking this morning... this doesn't make any sense. What changed?
The magic answer - Oranges.
Yep, I've been eating two to four "Cuties" a day for the last week and a half. That is, until I finished off the bag we had on Wednesday. Maybe oranges weren't the best option in the first place. Shame on me for not making the connection sooner.
Lesson #1: Stay away from the citrus fruit when nursing
Lesson #2: Doctor doesn't always know the answer either
P.S. My first assumption was that it was the coffee, so I haven't had any in a week. I'm having a lovely cup now!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are one of my favorite parts of blogging! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.