Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yay America!

Political I am not.

I took poli-sci in college and don't remember a thing.

So, I was extremely surprised when I opted to work from home yesterday because I couldn't pull my eyes off of the coverage of the inauguration of Barack Obama as out 44th President.

I know because I'm from the South - I'm expected to be Republican, and whose to say I'm not? I couldn't really tell you, and I'm not sure it matters.

Yesterday something changed for our Country. If you only watched the highlights during the evening news, you might not have felt the intensity of the day. I was honestly moved by the days events. I cried when he was sworn in, and I bowed my head as he was prayed for - Amening with each line. (Although I had some issues with Rick Warrens prayer turned sermon - and why can't we just be excited about a new president and leave him alone about being black?)

I have always had an issue with prejudice. It hurts me when I hear the "N" word or see someone treated differently because of the color of their skin. I pray that people who previously judged a person's abilities by their ethnicity will now step back and consider the magnitude of their words.

I'm not sure that my emotions were as connected to the person as to what it stood for in the progress of our country.

I am excited that America once again seems to have been kicked in the butt and come together as a country - and for a reason other than tragedy. Once again, Americans seem to be proud of where they are from. People who didn't vote for him the first time and probably wouldn't vote for him a second time - are still excited about his presidency and the change that it brings to the attitude of Americans. I pray he can deliver on the promises he has made. I pray that this time of excitement and pride and interest in our country does not change as the seasons change.

I know this is a much more serious blog than I usually share - but its been on my heart, and you are my outlet.

Please share your comments - I read them all and love to know someone is listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are one of my favorite parts of blogging! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.