Its funny how God works. His timing is perfect.
I've never been a "girly girl." By most standards, I still fall short of the title. However, some of those close to me would agree that I should prolly spend a little more time/money on the girly stuff. Not just because I'm "supposed" to, but because I deserve to feel good about myself. Before Tiffany's wedding, she took us all to get mani/pedis. I can't tell you how amazing it felt to be pampered. I have always had a tendency to spend money on house stuff. I never spent a lot of time/money on making me feel good about myself. I always exercised to stay in good shape, but I usually stopped there. Well, I've come to realize thats kinda like making a perfectly shaped cake and not adding the decorative icing. Cakes not really pretty until its decorated. (that was the best analogy I could come up with)
Add to this realization the additional realization that I am going to be in a house with two boys. Granted, at first nothing will change, but sooner than later it will be bugs and dirt and sports. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about those things. I'm much better with that than froo froo and lace. I think subconsciously (at first) I was afraid of losing my identity as a woman in a house full of boy stuff. Will I ever be able to watch HGTV again?? Well, I'm claiming it today... I will not lose my womaness (officially a new word)! I will take the time to do things to make me feel pretty. I will only buy clothes/shoes/intimates/etc that make me feel beautiful. Sometimes we as woman get comfortable. We are secure in our relationships, our jobs, and so on, and we lose sight of ourselves. But think back to the last time you got all dressed up. Think about the last time you walked into a room and felt beautiful.
I think we can capture that emotion, that confidence, on a daily basis. I am going to give it my best shot. It may just mean taking the time to put on eye liner... wearing heels with my jeans... or getting that pair of shoes thats a few dollars than I would normally spend because they make me feel good when I wear them. I understand how superficial that sounds, but it works for me. It translates into confidence... and thats what we're leading to.
Ever want your significant other to "notice" you, and I mean REALLY notice you. Think back to when he couldn't keep his hands off of you... did you come to bed in sweats and his old t-shirt? My guess is no. If you feel better about you... he will notice it... I promise.
Okay... I am NOT saying go spend a ton of money because that will make you feel better about yourself. As a successful graduate of the 12 step program for "retail therapy" (which I used every time Clint and I left each other on a storm) I know that feeling only lasts for awhile. I don't want you telling your husbands its my fault you maxed out the credit card. I am just saying... find something that makes you feel pretty.
Here are some examples of mine...
~ Nine West Flip Flops (Just got them last night) They are fancier than regular flip flops and cost $34.99 (way more than I would normally spend on flip flops, but they are more like shoes ~ really)
~ Victoria Secret Bras/Panties - nuff said
~ Good Jeans - Find a pair that fits you perfect (they don't have to cost a fortune)... it may take some searching, but when you find them... it will totally be worth it - can't really practice what I preach, but just wait till I get rid of this baby weight!!!
~ Pretty finger nails and toe nails :) Even if I walk out of the door looking like crap, if my pretty toes are showing... I still feel great about myself. Its like I'm saying... yes, I look horrible, but thats not normal. See, my toes are proof :) Again, whatever works for you. Nobody (before now) knew thats what I was thinking... but we're not doing it for "everyone else"
Love you ladies. Don't know what compelled me to write all of this, but maybe God knew somebody was going to read it...
Oh... if this doesn't make you feel better... I ordered a bigger bikini today to fit my growing body, because I needed something to wear to Cameron's Bday Bash this weekend. If you aren't feeling better by next week, come back and check out the pictures of me in a bikini ~ instant mood boost I promise :)
Big Bows & Besties: Hosting the Cutest Galentine’s Party Ever
-
Big Bows & Besties: Hosting the Cutest Galentine’s Party Ever. Five easy
DIY decor projects to create a festive Valentine’s Day Galentine’s party.
The po...
6 months ago

Yay! I know exactly what you're talking about and I'm so happy that you figured this out so much earlier than I did. Just remember all this when you settle in to being "Mommy". You will be a much better wife and mom if you take time for yourself once in a while. love ya! :)
ReplyDelete